Wednesday, September 19, 2012

You slut!


"Guys... I had sex. Am I a slut?"

Does this sound familiar? Better yet: "OMG she's SUCH a slut, she's slept with, like, 2 guys"

This year, I started paying attention to feminism and all that equality stuff. There's this thing called 'Slut shaming' and I am here to shed some light for those of you who don't know.

Slut-shaming is when people degrade or mock women because she enjoys sex, has sex a lot or is rumoured to participate in a sexual activity.

Someone's sex life shouldn't be our business. It's their own private thing and is not something we should meddle. Within the past few years, I've learned that sex is common and it took me quite a while to process this because coming from a Muslim/Malay culture it is generally taboo, like many other countries as well but it is especially ignored or considered inappropriate to talk about here.

I believe everyone should have their own choice to do whatever they want, as long as they are old enough and are not stupid enough to get themselves killed or arrested. Just like how women should have the choice to have sex with anyone she wants to, whenever she wants and however she wants to. Why? Because men get to do the same. Men sleep with women and are not called 'sluts', but the moment a woman does the same thing she is degraded and made fun of.

While I believe that a woman should have the right to make whatever decisions she wants, I am not 100% for premarital sex and definitely not adultery. It may seem like I'm contradicting myself but I myself am trying to form a solid opinion but I can't. I'm just as confused as any other person with a religious belief that goes against their views.

Let me reiterate my opinion. Everyone -- not just men, not just women-- should be able to have any kind of sex with anyone how many times they want but it doesn't mean I encourage it. It's not our business to deal with it, or to talk bad about it even. Whatever the consequences they face, it is their problem. Don't try to attack the people, just let them be. It doesn't hurt us, it doesn't cost us money, it doesn't directly affect us. Unless of course the people involved have some sort of personal relationship with you then it's a different story. But if these people are single and free then I don't see why it is our problem to begin with.

However, I'm not that uptight kinda girl who's always nit-picking all these things that uptight feminists would do. I don't mind a joke here and there, like if you know it's wrong to slut-shame but you do it ironically and you don't mean it. On the other hand, if you're all like serious and saying how this 'whore' deserves to die because she was sexually pleasuring herself then you need to get a time out. And I don't mean the chocolate because you don't deserve chocolate right now.

To conclude, I will leave you with a video about this topic articulately and well explained by 13-year-old Astrorice:





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...