Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Getting To Know Lauren (JustACurbsideProphet)

I'm starting a new series in which I interview bloggers, youtubers or just generally people who I find relatable and interesting and those who inspire me, and want to share them with you guys.

Lauren of JustACurbsideProphet, whose videos I've been watching ever since she started a year ago, was nice enough to do an interview with me. She's a beauty/fashion guru on youtube and is well known for thrifting her outfits. She has tons of hauls, DIYs, personal Q&As and vlogs, and she keeps things real.






You've mentioned that you just entered college last year. How is it treating you so far?

Good! It's nice having a fresh start. I've definitely had my share of awkward freshman moments.

Her dorm room

What made you want to start making videos on Youtube, and has it changed you as a person or has it had no effect on you whatsoever?

I was young when I found the beauty community. I wanted to copy these girls who were well off and happy, but that didn't last long. I found my thrifting community and stuck to it. Being on Youtube has made me more confident and introspective in real life, it's cool stuff. 

Every time you come out with a new lookbook or style video, your outfits never fail to disappoint! How would you describe your style and what is your go-to article of clothing at the moment?

Well shucks! I have no idea. Grunge/hippie if thats a thing. It's always changing.  Lately I've been wearing turtlenecks like no other. I feel sort of pretentious when I wear them and it's awesome. 



I always imagine you the kind of person whose outfits are inspired by movies and photos. But I might be wrong.

Totally. People always ask who my fashion icons are, but it really just comes from images I see in movies and photos. I take inspiration from random things like scenery, the tone of the film, the colors.



 
If you had to listen to 5 albums for the rest of your life, what would they be?

 "Talkie Walkie" by AIR, "Room on Fire" by The Strokes, "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd, "Into the Wild Soundtrack" (Eddie Vedder!), and for good measure "1" by The Beatles.
 
Tell me some of your favourite books, films and tv shows.

 Hmm. For TV I like American Horror Story, Misfits, My So Called Life, As Told by Ginger, etc. For films I love the Virgin Suicides, Pulp Fiction, Buffalo '66, Donnie Darko, Fight Club, etc. I could go on and on if we are talking movies. I'd like to read more, but my favorite book is Perks of Being A Wallflower. I don't care if its "mainstream" now. It got me through some rough patches back in the day.
 
You're stranded on a deserted island and you get to pick 3 people to join you, dead or alive. Who would you choose?
Andrew Vanwyngarden and Mary-Kate Olsen because they seem like fun, and MacGruber to get us the fuck out of there when we are good and ready.
 
What are some things that make you happy?

Those moments when you really connect with people. When you feel pure happiness out of just existing.
 

If you could instantly have any skill, what skill would it be? 

The skill to rollerblade downhill without shitting my pants.
 

Are you a feminist? What are your thoughts on the whole gender equality movement? 

For sure. I want all the girls out there to realize that being a feminist doesn't mean you can't shave your legs or dress up. It's about equality between men and women. Love yourself ladies.
 

Do you have any advice to girls-- or anyone really-- about self-acceptance and being comfortable with yourself? 

Get to know yourself, your body, what you like, and what you don't like. Realize that it's okay to change, and it's okay to take risks, even if you fail. There is a reason why our minds let us block out embarrassing moments. Do YOU.











You can find her elsewhere on the interwebs:

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! I love Lauren on youtube and her blog.
    I was just the same, got sucked into the beauty community four years back and was so caught up in their world! But I feel so much better off in the fashion/thrifting area of youtube and it has also introduced me to some cool blogs (liek this one) that pushed me even more to start my own (something I had been putting off for yonks).

    Well, I've had my say... ;)





    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...