Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Project: Read Library

A few days ago I was sitting on the floor in one of the few corners of my college library, (which is like my second home now because I spend almost all my free time there) lazily leaning against the wall, folding my legs in towards my chest reading Geektastic until I looked up to take a break. It suddenly hit me that this will be my last year (hopefully -- I AM DETERMINED FOR IT TO BE) albeit a very busy one and there were a lot of books that I had planned to read last year but decided not to. Now, here's the thing. Over the years I've gathered a number of books and they have been collecting dust on my shelf because I haven't had the time to read them all.. yet. I eventually had book guilt and sworn to myself not to borrow any more books. So, I'm switching plans but hey you've probably guessed it by now.

*Clears throat* Ladies, gents and cats. This year I shall TRY to refrain from reading my own books, but instead read books only from my school library.

I just started The Fault In Our Stars by John Green yesterday (NERDFIGHTER REPRESENT!!) and I'm almost halfway through and it's so good!!! And I've had/will have things going on so I can't finish it as soon as I can/want to!!! Bummer!!!

One thing you should know is that I am a slow reader. There's this one line from Kafka On The Shore that writes, "I'm not a fast reader. I like to linger over each sentence, enjoying the style. If I don't enjoy the writing, I stop". And when I read this line the first time I was elated because FINALLY I wasn't the only who felt that way! Even though I share a similar quality with a fictional character -- it didn't matter, as long as it was someone. Everyone I know are either fast readers or they don't read at all. So I read this line again and again, and again. And that's what I did, I lingered. Just like I do all the time, exactly what it says on that page. I am also very horrible at managing my time and spending it wisely, resulting in the piling up of school work, unstudied (and failure of) tests and lack of sleep. Which in turn affects my reading time. Go me.

Another reason why I decided to do this was because I hadn't read all the books that I wanted to in my high school which I now regret. Plus, I thought it would be useful to try out genres and authors I never thought I'd pick up. I also want to try, for the umpteenth time, to get myself into classics. One time I tried reading Pride and Prejudice, I only made it up to page 35 because it was so boring. Oh my God, it was just a bunch of sisters talking about potential husbands and getting married and rich people and falling sick and what have you. I couldn't understand what was going on and I didn't want to! The whole time I was just wondering how people can actually enjoy this book. Nevertheless, I will keep trying. Maybe one day my brain will finally mature and somehow enjoy olden, fancy language concerning serious, adult problems.

One day.

Anyway, we start our term break in a few days time so I recently borrowed these two books to get me started:




I might do updates of books I borrow to document my "journey". And to remind me of the ones that I've read already (I can be quite forgetful sometimes).

2 comments:

  1. I just put geektastic on hold at my library seems like its a necessary read for a geek like me lol.I am also planning to read Mindy Kaling's bio. I think they have comic book versions of pride and prejudice. Books are so awesome because its like you are vicariously living through the characters and taking in all these new perspectives and going on all these new adventures. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geektastic has some really entertaining (and relatable) stories! My favourites are "Quiz Bowl Antichrist", "The Truth About Dino Girl" and "The Stars at the Finish Line". Ooh! That should be an interesting read, I'm still looking for Mindy's book! I have Bossypants (by Tina Fey) on my shelf, I haven't read it yet but I'm very tempted to lol. And yeah, my high school had the zombie version of Pride and Prejudice but I insisted on reading the original first (DOUBLE EYE ROLL TO MY PAST SELF)

      Yeah I agree, I can't go on adventures and stuff in real life, so the closest thing is to read about them hahah

      By the way, you should totally read The Fault in our Stars if you haven't! You'll love it! I finished it last night and I cried like there was no tomorrow (it's seriously the best)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...